Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bad Day



Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I had a classic bad day. It began with a cranky little boy who didn't want to get an xray done of his hips for an upcoming doctors appointment. He fought me tooth and nail getting dressed and ready, until we got in the car and the tunes came on. This is my youngest Logan I am reffering to. He adores music, and the great thing is generally he likes to listen to whatever I am listening to, as long as it has a beat. So we go do the Xray with little difficulty and then head home a little behind schedule. We get home and I put Logan at his table to give him lunch and set him up with his favorite snowglobe to admire. Ok, a little back story, Logan is obsessed with snow globes....ok wasn't that much backstory, but it is important to the story. So he showers his love on the snowglove while I prepare and feed him his lunch. Then I pull him down from the table and get him dressed for school. I go into the Kitchen for a second to check on my soup and as I'm coming back into the room I can see disaster looming. Logan is trying to lift the snowglobe down from the table, but it is much too heavy for him. He drops it and it smashes on the floor. The momentum of the snowglobe pulls him down onto the broken glass! I watch this happen in slow motion with horror, and I am to him a fraction of a second later, but the damage is done. I can clearly see my little ones blood on the floor and immediate check his hands, a couple of minor abrasions. Then I see it, a gaping wound on his wrist, maybe 2 milimeters away from the big artery. I immediatly clamp my hand down on it and pick him up. I realize that the first aid kit is still in the truck so I grab paper towel and terry cloth and wrap it around. This is just as Kristie gets home from work. I run out to meet her and we zip to the local hospital. The story slows down here, we look like a car wreck coming in, blood everywhere, but after the nurse checks him out and pronounces it minor (a matter of opinion really) and bandages it up we go clean up and wait. And wait....and wait. It's a hospital after all that thats kinda what you do there. The room is even named waiting room, kind of a state of limbo. But Logan sits patiently through most of it, falls asleep for a while even. Finally we get called in, about 6 hours later. The Doc checks him out, and determines he needs stitches, applies some topical freezing. Doc comes back a few minutes later with a nurse and they do an amazing job sewing him up. They are great with him and he is the bravest boy ever. He doesn't upper a peep while they take care of him, just stares at them with his solumn eyes. THey finish quick and we can go home. He's tuckered out and falls asleep quick and thats about the end of it.

And now for some totally unrelated info about the totally unrelated photos. Both are of my brother Ryan's Weimaraner puppy named Maverick. He's probably the prettiest dog I've ever seen and really sweet too. He's a huge suck. The guy with him is my brother of course. I converted both shots to B&W with the channel mixer with a bias towards the red channel. Then I did a number of masked curve adjustments to fix parts of the shots. The sky was completely blown out on the bottom image so I couldn't do much, but I like the composition of the shot, so I had to keep it.

Here's hoping today is a better day, have a good one!

Dan

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, Logan! He is such a tough little guy with a big heart. I'm very happy that he's doing alright!

    ReplyDelete